Friday, June 19, 2009

A New Beginning

My name is Chris Lemmons and I am a recent college graduate from Colby College in Waterville, Maine. This summer I am living at my home in Massachusetts and getting ready for my first year of law school at Suffolk University, which will begin in August.

The thought of creating a personal blog has crossed my mind before, but I decided to actually go for it when one of my close friends, a college roommate of 3 years, began his own blog earlier this summer. The purpose of this blog is simply to act as a medium through which I can convey my thoughts about anything from current events to sports news, issues in my personal life to broader issues that I feel are important.

I have heard people say all throughout my life that college is "the best four years of your life." Let me preface my new perspective on this statement by saying that I thoroughly enjoyed my four years of college. And I mean thoroughly. Besides having the surreal experience of watching myself grow and mature as a person from the inside-out, I met countless new people and formed relationships that I am sure will be with me for the rest of my life. I really learned a great deal about myself during my college years and I would say the aspect of my personality that defines the way I live my life the most is that I never take anything too seriously. I realize when things need to be accomplished and what is really at stake in various situations, but I always try to remain even-keeled and put everything that happens in my life into perspective. That being said, I hope that every single person that has told me that college will be the "best four years of your life" are totally wrong. As a matter of fact, I know they are wrong. Through the subtle pearls of wisdom that I absorb from the elders in my life everyday, I have learned that life has so much to offer and it is an ever-changing, constantly dynamic beauty.

I have turned the page to a new chapter in my life. My personal ambitions for law school and beyond are sky-high. I want my deepest work ethic to flourish and to guide me through what I understand will be an extremely tumultuous and challenging three years of law school. When it comes down to it, I want the rest of my life to be characterized by seizing opportunities and charting my own path across the ocean of uncertainties that is life.


Alright, enough of the personal stuff for now. This blog really isn't intended to be solely a venue for my philosophical and psychological rants and raves but rather an open forum for me to express my personal views about what is going on in my own personal life as well as the world more generally.

As the 2009, U.S. Open has begun at Bethpage in New York, I figured I would sign off today with a very inspirational quote from one of my all-time favorite athletes, Tiger Woods:


"I view my life in this way: The greatest
thing about tomorrow is, I will be better than I am today...I will be a better
person...I will be a better friend. That's the beauty of tomorrow.
There is no such thing as a setback. The lessons I learn today I will
apply tomorrow, and I will be better" -Tiger Woods (from an interview written by Jaime Diaz and published on Golf Digest and ESPN).
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment