Friday, August 14, 2009

Everybody Deserves A Second Chance

First off, just a quick "hi" to everyone who has continued to read, sorry for my posting absence the past week or so. I have been very busy with my prep course, but now it is all over and Orientation is looming!

So, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to write about how I feel about the huge news in the sports world right now: Michael Vick signing a contract with the Philadelphia Eagles. For those of you who aren't in tune with the sports world, Vick was charged and convicted on federal and state counts of being involved in a dog fighting ring. Before I continue with my own opinion, it's important to say that I do believe his actions were horrible and I fully agreed with the punishments that were bestowed upon him.

Having said that, I love that the Philadelphia Eagles have signed Michael Vick. In fact, I wish that the New England Patriots had signed him. I understand that there are people who are still up in arms against the guy because of the terrible things that he was involved with, but frankly, let them be. They are only wasting energy in a futile attempt to hold this guy down for the rest of his life because of a mistake. He served his full sentence (approximately 2 years) in prison, and has since been taking a proactive approach to becoming involved in his community with organizations such as the Humane Society and other programs that promote animal welfare.

In short, he did the crime and served his time. Everybody deserves a second chance. Michael Vick is a tremendous athletic specimen and I knew it was just a matter of time before he got signed by an NFL team. I am very excited to see how Vick re-adjusts to life in the spotlight and the NFL way of life, and my only regret is that he is not doing so in a Patriots uniform.

Feel free to say what you will, but if you were him you would not only want a second chance, but you would expect one as well, so really the self-righteous stance against the signing of Michael Vick has little, if any, credibility or relevance. Here is a portion of the press conference Vick held after the news broke that he is now the newest member of the 2009 Philadelphia Eagles.



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment